“Green Roofs Technician Training Program”
Duration 01/09/2022 – 31/08/2025
“Green Roofs”, is a 36 month project funded by the EC under Erasmus+ KA2 , Cooperation partnerships in Higher Education, in the 2022 call.
The Coordinator, is the POLITECHNIKA SLASKA Poland GLIWICE and the rest of the partners are:
- FALCO&ASSOCIATI SRL (EUROCREA MERCHANT SRL) Italy, MILANO
- GOSPODARSKA ZBORNICA SLOVENIJE, Slovenia, LJUBLJANA
- KLAIPEDOS VALSTYBINE KOLEGIJA, Lithuania, KLAIPEDA
- EUROPEAN ASSOCIATION OF ERASMUS COORDINATORS, Cyprus, Nicosia
- UNIVERSITATEA DUNAREA DE JOS DIN GALATI, Romania, GALATI
- ASSOCIAÇÃO NACIONAL DE COBERTURAS VERDES, Portugal, Maia
ASSOCIATED PARTNERS will be involved for dissemination purposes and to recruit additional participants in the project activities.
The Green Roofs project, aims to develop an innovative training course and methodology to develop a
new, multidisciplinary occupational profile, specialized in green roofs. The project will foster the
employability, socio-educational and professional development of young graduates in construction
engineering, landscape architecture, urban planning and related studies through the acquisition of skills
needed for urban regeneration.
The project objectives are to:
- Exchange of knowledge and best practices on urban regeneration through green roofs;
- Develop an innovative training course on green roofs gathering forward-looking skills in a strategic field
for smart economic and social development;
- Provide work-based learning opportunities for young graduates in construction engineering, and
- Foster employability, socio-educational and personal development for young graduates in construction
engineering (and other similar professional profiles) through the acquisition of new specific skills in
order to find alternatives to a saturated market;
The project will develop a training programme in the strategic area of urban regeneration. At the same time, it will support young graduates to have international experiences at the beginning of their career. The course will train a new, multidisciplinary professional profile, specialized in rooftop farming and gardening, what we call a Green Roof Technician. This professional will be able to design, assess, plan and implement green rooftops solutions, through a thorough approach encompassing engineering/technical competences, gardening/agronomy and social animation skills. From these considerations the project purpose is to offer to young graduates in construction engineering, landscape architecture, urban planning etc. the opportunity to receive training in an innovative curriculum of high ecological and social value, to foster their employability and to tackle with contemporary ecological issues, trying to transform these challenges in new job opportunities.
The key project results are:
- Green Roofs Training Course and Platform Development (A Multidisciplinary and modular Green Roof
Training Course on Green Roofs, -E-learning platform hosting a job-placement section to facilitate the
search of internships on Green Roofs)
- Green Roofs Trainers’ Handbook (Learning Snacks for Green Roofs Technician Trainers for effective
implementation of the training methodology)
- Guidelines for Green Roofs Training (Guidelines for Green Roofs Training to facilitate the adoption of
the course in Higher Education and promote the further development of the training)
The Target group is:
- Students and young graduates in construction engineering.
- Professors and trainers teaching in construction engineering and related courses.
The indirect target group is:
- landscape architects, urban planners and similar professional profiles
- Business, SMEs, NGOs, public authorities and other organizations dealing with urban regeneration and
specifically green roofs.
- Urban gardeners, professionals and amateurs will benefit from new economic or volunteer
- Socially excluded people and/or from disadvantaged backgrounds.
The project, will also target trainers, who will be guided on how to provide this kind of training and improve their competences in teaching for environmental sustainability. Regarding urban biodiversity, our project will contribute to raise awareness about how important it is to increase the amount of green spaces in cities. Therefore, by learning about green roofs students participate in our training will also get familiar with broader sustainability issues, and gain competences that fall within those put forward by the European Sustainability.